Although this is currently a personal diary, I hope this blog will eventually become more of an online "coffee shop" where amateur or aspiring musicians/artists/writers can share ideas and offer constructive criticism.


Saturday, July 02, 2005

Personally, I Wish Zombies Would Bring the World to an End.

As usual, I found inspiration while watching George Romero's 1968 classic Night of the Living Dead. For years I've truly believed - and still do - that the human species is destined for extinction, whether by nuclear holocaust, biowarfare/bioterrorism, genetic or quantum experiments gone awry, runaway climate changes, or even by some natural event such as a meteor strike or solar flare.

Don't I have cheery daydreams or what?

True, there already are several forms of zombies that cause much of the world's problems; these are commonly known as "bureaucrats," "religious fanatics," and "academia administrations." (Please note the absence of "journalists" and "politicians" in the above list. Technically these are ghouls, not zombies. There is a subtle difference. Zombies only feed upon the living. Ghouls feed upon both the living and the dead.)

Ah, a cycinism-enriched post for a change...

At any rate, what better way for the human race to come to an end than by its own dead to devour it? Especially if zombies' excretory systems still functioned - A topic never quite touched upon in zombie films. It would take recycling to a whole new level - A wasted human wasting another wasted human. Continuous fertilization.

But would there be zombie plants too? Now that would be a great apocalyptic situation: zombie animals, zombie bugs, zombie bacteria. The stench of the planet would be unbearable in no time.

Assuming that anyone is still reading this insomnia-induced essay, I will leave you a curious anecdote.

One day at work - a very slow day - I suddenly asked my co-workers, if we were in a situation that caused our office to be cut off from the outside world (eg. flood, blizzard, cave-in caused by an earthquake, zombie attack) and we ran out of food, which co-worker would you choose to cannibalize first? This initiated a three-hour discussion that slowly encroached the entire department.

The creepy part is - besides me asking the question in the first place - is that one co-worker knew immediately who he would eat. It was as if he had already thought about this long before the topic came up. (No, it wasn't me. In fact, I wasn't on too many peoples' menus.)

Something to think about the next time you are at work...

Stay Safe!
Drake

2 Comments:

Blogger Rowan said...

Personally, I always figured we would bring ourselves to destruction just by carelessly using up all of our natural resources, but I like your idea better. I'll probably have nightmares of zombie cockroaches tonight! eek!

3:03 PM  
Blogger Drake said...

Hi there, Rowan!

Yes, depletion of natural resources is another possible scenario.

Right now, I'm trying to use up all of my supernatural resources. No, I don't know what that means either, but it just felt like something I needed to say. :)

Take care!
Drake

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Attorney at Law