Although this is currently a personal diary, I hope this blog will eventually become more of an online "coffee shop" where amateur or aspiring musicians/artists/writers can share ideas and offer constructive criticism.


Saturday, April 23, 2005

Ah, Music...

Well, now that I got the obligatory "woe-is-me" post out of the way yesterday, I can now offer a more upbeat one today.

Actually, the day looks gloomy outside my window, but I prefer it that way - It is so much easier on the eyes. In fact, the whole day seems much more tranquil than depressing - Very peaceful and relaxing.

Last night, I finally got up the nerve to try to play one of father's acoustic guitars. He died earlier this year from a diabetes/cancer combination, three days after my birthday. He was a great, kind man... And also an amazing guitar player! He never took lessons but could play wonderful classical and Flamingo by ear. Since he was a near-prodigy at the guitar, he could never teach me. It was so second nature to him that he could not translate his ability to someone else. How does someone teach a colorblind person to see color?

At any rate, I tried playing one of his guitars for awhile, but I so desperately need practice. As fortune would have it, I stumbled upon a nice guitar site today called Guitar.gg. It seems to have a lot of interesting and useful tips.

What else should I mention in my public diary? Well, I'm listening to Cat Stevens at the moment, before he became Yusuf Islam... No comment. I loved his music in "Harold and Maude" - In fact, I just love that movie all together. As a side note, I actually was able to play Harold Chasen in a community theatre production of it back in 1992. It's my only claim to local fame. Sad, huh?

Well, enough rambling for today. I am going to start redoubling my efforts at playing the guitar and enjoy this cool, dark, restful day.

Best wishes to all!

1 Comments:

Blogger Drake said...

Hi there!

I love "Harold and Maude" - I've pretty much worn out the DVD of it. :)

Guitar is deceptively difficult to play, but I'm determined to learn it - At least well enough to play a coffee house or two to supplement my social security. I will probably be 72 before I finally get the hang of it! ;)

Thanks for the comment and best wishes! Drake

10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Attorney at Law